Monday, February 14, 2011

Of love and second chances....

Around this time last year, Jerry and I had been dating for five months, but it felt like we had always been together. We had already planned our future together, and we knew we would be married eventually. Yes, five months is quite a short time, but at our ages we didn't think there was much point in waiting for the sake of a timeline. We had even looked at rings, (which was MUCH more nerve-racking than I ever imagined.) and visited chapels one Saturday. So naturally, when Valentine's Day rolled around, my mind was set on marriage.....and getting a ring.

I tried to reason with myself to get it out of my mind. He hadn't had enough time to get the ring, ask my Dad and tell the kids. He wouldn't do this on Valentine's Day, that's not his style. I told myself that it wasn't going to happen, but no matter how many conversations I had with myself, I could not get the possibility out of my mind that very very soon I would be getting a ring.

Now let me interject here: I was a very independent single woman for seven years. I had endured Valentine's Days as a single person, and while in a relationship as well. I thought I had learned to take these things in stride. It was just another day, and I was grateful for all the love in my life everyday....relationship or none. I had been very level-headed about most things.... until Jerry came along. Then all this went down the proverbial toilet. I became one of those mushy-gushy lovey-dovey types who inundated my Facebook friends with statuses about how wonderful my boyfriend was and posted kissy face pictures with silly captions. I used his name at least 75 times by noon every day. I found reasons to talk about him, I thought about him constantly. I doodled our names together. Yep, I was that girl...

So naturally, when Jerry took me to a fabulous restaraunt for our Valentine's dinner, I was on alert. This was the night. I got a manicure. (so I could show off the ring) I made sure my hair and make-up were perfect. When we were seated in a romantic little booth, my suspicions and excitement grew. I watched to see if the waiters treated us differently. I became "that" girl in the movies who casually poked around every dinner roll and looked in my drink every five minutes. I tried to be casual, but I'm sure it showed. Thank goodness Jerry didn't trip, or bend down to tie his shoe. I'm certain I would have shouted "Yes, I'll marry you!!" before I realized that he wasn't proposing. He didn't propose on Valentine's Day. I wasn't disappointed... but even more anxious over the next month until he did actually ask me. Little did I know that he had already bought the ring, and was planning everything already. I just had to be patient... just like I had to be patient for God to let me fall in love with him.

What a difference a year makes! Today, I woke up to Valentine's surprises from my HUSBAND. I'm running errands for our lovey-dovey family dinner, and I'm hurrying to finish this blog before I have to go sit in the car rider line to pick up Halle. My life is SO incredibly different, but it's so incredibly wonderful. I wouldn't have changed the day or the way he proposed for anything...with both kids present and Halle's sign that said "SAY YES!!" Everything was perfect... all the way that God planned it.

Today and every day I'm thankful for the love of an amazing, godly man who loves me unconditionally. I'm thankful for the pure joy that he brings into my life daily, and for the countless times per day that he makes me laugh until my tummy hurts. I'm thankful for his ears that listen when I complain and when I have silly stories to tell, and for his heart that understands me more than I thought was ever possible. I'm thankful for good morning concerts and silly songs he sings to me every morning, and that I never have to wake up alone again. I'm thankful for the husband he is, the son he is and the unbelievable Father that he is. I'm thankful for the kindness in his eyes, and the fact that he's probably tearing up reading this now. I'm thankful for his hands that hold me, and reassure me when my world is uncertain. Most of all, I'm thankful that I've been privilege to fall in love and marry my very best friend. I'm so grateful that God gives us the benefit of second chances, and that he knows the desires of our hearts before we ever do...he certainly knew exactly what I needed, exactly who I needed, exactly when I needed it.

Happy Valentine's Day!
Amber

1 comment:

  1. I just teared up reading this!! Call me a hopeless romantic, but I absolutely love your story. I know you've gone through some pretty rough times, but it was all for a purpose. And through all of that, God brought you and Jerry together and it is just a beautiful thing! Your story reminds me that I don't need to rush God's perfect timing :) Thanks for the reminder!!

    ReplyDelete